Veteran. Conservative. Alamance County Native.
A veteran, true conservative, and successful attorney, Craig Turner grew up right here in Alamance County and is a product of our local public schools. After graduating from the Naval Academy, Craig became an officer and flew F14 fighter planes. Now he’s a local attorney and County Commissioner, fighting for conservative Alamance County values.
Litigation and Construction Law Attorney, Fox Rothschild, LLP; November 2018 – Present
- Manage complex litigation in federal and state courts for businesses and government entities.
- Draft and argue motions for clients in federal and state courts.
- Advise contractors, subcontractors, and real property owners in matters pertaining to construction law.
- Advise executives and business owners regarding litigation strategy and risk management.
- Research issues related to federal and state elections laws.
Assistant District Attorney, Alamance County, NC; May 2017 – November 2018
- Tried criminal matters in NC Superior and District Courts.
- Managed case load of over two hundred criminal cases involving first degree murder, felony assault, robbery, kidnapping, drug trafficking, embezzlement, financial exploitation, and elder abuse.
- Led the District Attorney’s Elder Abuse Initiative.
Commercial Litigation Attorney, Smith Moore Leatherwood, LLP, Greensboro, NC; September 2011 – May 2017
- Managed and litigated legal matters for businesses and non-profits, including Cone Health, the Atlantic Coast Conference, lending institutions, large healthcare groups, and small businesses.
- Drafted and argued motions and tried cases in federal and state courts and the NC Industrial Commission.
- Advised executives and business owners regarding litigation strategy and risk management.
- Managed staff of in-house and contract attorneys, paralegals, and legal assistants in production of electronic documents for litigation.
- Assisted in the recruitment of new attorneys.
Law Clerk to the Honorable James L. Gale and the Honorable Ben F. Tennille, Special Superior Court Judges for Complex Business Cases, North Carolina Business Court, Greensboro, NC; August 2010 – August 2011
- Drafted legal opinions for the Court and made recommendations regarding legal issues.
Summer Litigation Associate, Smith Moore Leatherwood, LLP, Greensboro, NC, 2008, 2009; Wishart Norris Henninger & Pittman, P.A., Burlington, NC; 2009; Nexsen Pruet, Greensboro, NC, 2008
Specialty Development Executive, LabCorp, Burlington, NC; May 2006 – August 2007
- Responsible for increasing revenue in existing urology, gastroenterology, and dermatology accounts, and selling new business.
- Grew business by 32% over previous year in six months.
Key Account Executive, LabCorp, Burlington, NC; October 2004 – May 2006
- Provided ongoing service and problem solving for customer base.
- Responsible for managing $7.5 million of business.
- Number two of sixty-five sales representatives for focus products sales.
Kingsdown Children’s Miracle Network Coordinator (Temporary Position), Kingsdown, Inc., Mebane, NC; 2003 – 2004
- Developed and implemented campaign to promote the Children’s Miracle Network and to raise funds at five company locations and corporate headquarters.
Naval Flight Officer, United States Navy, 1995 – 2003
F-14 Tomcat Aviator Instructor, VF-101, Virginia Beach, VA; 2001 – 2003
- Instructed student naval aviators in basic airmanship and combat tactics through classroom lectures, flight simulators, airborne application, and day and night aircraft carrier landings.
- Implemented weapons system training program for over forty student naval aviators.
- Responsible for developing the squadron’s daily operations plans for over two hundred aviators and twenty aircraft.
- Responsible for the movement of twelve aircraft and over one hundred personnel to Key West, FL and El Centro, CA for flight training.
- Served as Master of Ceremonies at two Navy Balls and one Change of Command.
F-14 Tomcat Aviator, VF-31, Virginia Beach, VA; 1998 – 2001
- Mission Commander; Forward Air Controller; Training Officer.
- Deployed aboard USS Abraham Lincoln for two tours to the Persian Gulf.
- Developed and implemented squadron training program for combat missions.
- Flew 35 combat missions over Iraq as part of Operation Southern Watch.
- Served as Master of Ceremonies for Formal Squadron Dinner.
- Selected as Radar Intercept Officer of the year in 2000.
Junior Action Officer, Joint Military Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.; 1995
Alamance County Commissioner, February 2021
First Vice Chairman, Alamance County Republican Party, 2019 – 2021
Moderator, Alamance County Commissioner Debate, February 2020
Republican Party Executive Committee Member, 6th Congressional District of NC; 2018 – 2021
Elon University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, Summa Cum Laude, Greensboro, NC; 2007 – 2010
- Class Valedictorian.
- Honor Council—one of nine students elected to draft and administer school’s first Honor Code.
- Student Representative to Presidential Task Force to build Elon Law’s Leadership Curriculum.
- Moot Court: first place finish in Elon Law moot court competition; represented Elon Law at two
- intercollegiate moot court competitions; Best Oral Advocate Award.
- Legal Extern at the North Carolina Business Court.
- Legal Extern at Legal Aid of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC.
Alamance Community College, Adult Learning – Basic Accounting Course, Haw River, NC 2005
Navy Flight School, Pensacola, FL/Virginia Beach, VA; 1995 – 1998
United States Naval Academy, B.S. in Political Science, with merit, Annapolis, MD; 1991 – 1995
- Company Commander—leader of a group of 120 Midshipmen.
- Men’s Glee Club President.
- Moderator at Naval Academy Foreign Affairs Conference.
- Representative to Naval Academy Honor Council—elected by members of the Company.
Walter Williams High School, Top Five, Burlington, NC; 1991
INTERESTS AND HOBBIES
- Member, Saint Mark’s Church, Burlington, NC.
- Participant in Leadership Alamance—Alamance County Chamber of Commerce.
- Graduate of Burlington Government Academy—City of Burlington.
- Preceptor/Mentor—Elon Law School.
- Moot Court Judge—Elon Law School.
- ACC sports.
- Brunswick Stew Master.